Monday, December 25, 2006

12/25/06

Well Happy Holidays and all that Jazz. My first xmas in Alaska. Today was a lovely day. Sunny, light wind, around 30 degrees. Perfect day for rowing, so that is what I did. First time by myself since I have been here. Had quite a bit of mail waiting for me. The rowing part isn't difficult, but my back will be feeling it tomorrow. The difficulty is pulling the boat back up on the beach and turning it over. My arms are pretty much wrecked by the time I get back. I tied it up and let the tide bring it on up. Was finally able to pull it all the way up and flip it over. Whew.

The eagles were out and soaring overhead and a large sea otter followed me for a while. Never saw the harbor seal.

Rowing was fun. Nice and peaceful. Only one close call with a rock..lol.

I was going to post some pics I took but the upload program on blogger isn't working today. I will get those on later.

Went out yesterday to fill the bird feeder and one of the nuthatches had managed to get itself in the birdfeeder. He really wanted that last seed...He got out okay after I turned it upside down.

The kingfishers are back or at least one of them is. They shouldn't be here this time of year but have seen one the last two days, including today.

If you haven't looked already, there are two new slide shows posted.

Haven't read too much news lately..got burned out, but never fear my witty commentary and rapier like wit will return soon.

But here are some "things" to ponder all heard on TV this past week:

A study in England on women's weight has concluded that women will be more likely to seek help if the labels in Size 12 and up clothing included an 800 number to an obesity hotline. US manufacturer's are thinking about doing the same thing.

Now people, since when is size 12 obese? or Overweight? All of the women shown in the news clip were no where near size 12. They were all closer to 18, 20 and 24. And which size 12? Petite, misses, Juniors, women's? for you guys out there, women's clothing sizes are a nightmare. I have worn size 12's and I most certainly wasn't obese, nor close to it. Size 12 is the most common size in America. Not zero, 1, or 2 as most media would have you believe. And it isn't obese.


And on the same topic, sort of, have you SEEN the commercial for nutrisystem? Some chick waxing eloquant on all of the weight she has lost stuffing her face with chocolate - Claims to be a size two. If she is a size two, I am the queen mother.

Medical Commercials

I have a real issue with the commericals for Valtrax (genital herpes). They show these pictures of beautiful people who want to have sex. the tag line for Valtrex is Want to reduce the risk of spreading Genital Herpes? Well guess what, DON'T HAVE SEX!!!!!. They have the actors saying they didn't know it could be spread when an outbreak wasn't evident. This isn't new information but the way it is packaged on these commercials will lead people to think it is okay to take Valtrex and have sex.

And how about the one for Rhumatoid Arthritis (RA) and Enbral? An actor says " I didn't know RA could cause joint damage" WHAT? What does she think RA does? Stupid commercial.


Funny heard on Jon Stewart's The Daily Show this week: Presidents news conference held in Indian Treaty Room and you know we can trust what is said in the indian treaty room.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're keeping a pretty close eye on things in the world at large, even from where you're at! Very kewl! Happy rowing! :)